Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  
Share | 

CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 7266
Registration date: 2008-11-04

PostSubject: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sat May 22, 2010 6:33 am

5/22/2010

Hi Everyone.. Very Happy

I was surprised when I read an aricle on Facebook
last night and privacy, they mention this site and you can
find anyone's address, phone # etc, wether they liked it
or not , there is no more privacy....

http://www.spokeo.com

Cheers..Joe.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 5036
Registration date: 2009-03-28

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sat May 22, 2010 8:23 am

Oh yeah, this site's been around for awhile. It's one of these new "aggregator" sites. They comb all the social networking sites for info and photographs, which they archive, and no doubt, intend to sell.
Back to top Go down
joefrank
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 7266
Registration date: 2008-11-04

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sat May 22, 2010 8:35 am

5/22/2010

LC..

I would think this is illegal ?

Cheers..Joe
Back to top Go down
http://joseph-frank-baraba-artistwebsites.om
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sat May 22, 2010 8:43 am

Joe, no, it isn't. There are plenty of sites that aggregate public information found online through courthouse and property records. They charge for brief or full reports of what they found. Check out intelius.com. They'll even hook you up with other people looking for the same person you are!

It's all public record (well, maybe not all; I think that some companies, like utilities, sell the information, just like any other mailing list).
Back to top Go down
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 1482
Registration date: 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sun May 23, 2010 3:09 am

Facebook is a monster. We willingly feed it personal info.
I have been on facebook for a while and it does worry me little.
Every photo you have ever been in, taken by someone you once knew, every person who you may have known or been acquainted with, eventually gets linked back to you in some way. I get friend requests from people I may have brushed shoulders with in the distant past. Most of these I reject because I really do not know them yet they persist like stalkers and ignore my refusal to accept their friendship offers.
Facebook is a worldwide database on a massive section of the world population.
I have even heard some people suggest that the CIA may even be behind Facebook. I can't say I quite believe that myself but you never know? I will file that conspiracy away with the others for now.
There is a UK TV documentary about all this called "Erasing David"
Here is the youtube link http://www.youtube.com/show/erasingdavid
I don't know if it is watchable in the US but give it a look.
Back to top Go down
LC
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sun May 23, 2010 10:07 am

"This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
Back to top Go down
dkchristi
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 7612
Registration date: 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Sounds like a good science fiction novel to me.........how the government is behind Facebook (OR NAME IT SOMETHING ELSE...) and uses the info...
Back to top Go down
http://www.dkchristi.webs.com
dmondeo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 1482
Registration date: 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY   Sun May 23, 2010 1:34 pm

LC wrote:
"This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
Sorry LC I did wonder if that would happen.
The channel that Video is on is the Channel 4 one which is only available in the UK.
A lot of our TV companies now put content on youtube which are subject to international restrictions. These can only be viewed on youtube in the uk.
They are such spoil sports.
Back to top Go down

CHECK OUT: SPOKEO - THERE IS NO PRIVACY

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors ::  :: -