Published Authors

A place for budding and experienced authors to share ideas about publishing and marketing books

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  Featured MembersFeatured Members  ArticlesArticles  
Share | 

Improvements to my Coat of Arms

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 1076
Registration date: 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 pm

I did some improvements to my coat of arms. It's still the same design, I just added thin black edges to the shield and chevron and moved the shield in front of the mantling. I think I made it look a little better. I also made a certificate for my coat of arms. My coat of arms is registered with the United States Heraldic Registry http://usheraldicregistry.com. Mine can be found under K.

Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Here's some more info on my coat of arms and the meaning behind it.

ARMS: Argent, a chevron Vert between in chief a gear and a harp and in base a standing balance all Azure, all within a bordure Vert
CREST: On a torse Argent and Vert a tower Azure masoned and ported Argent
MOTTO: “AUDACITER ASPICIO ULTRA” (Boldly Look Beyond)
DESIGN RATIONALE: The color green stands for nature, the environment, prosperity, and my birth stone, Peridot. The color white stands for peace and the light of all that is good. Blue represents my favorite color and also stands for tranquility and inspiration. The tower crest represents my interest in architecture, home construction, and remodeling. Metaphorically, the tower also represents the ability to look beyond, which ties in with the motto. The chevron shape also represents my interest in home remodeling and construction. The green bordure represents my love of the natural world and serves the practical purpose of helping the shield to stand out when it is printed on paper. The gear stands for my interest in science and technology and inventiveness. The harp stands for contemplation, meditation, spirituality, and my artistic interests, such as writing and photography. The balance is a symbol for the ideals of equality, justice, moderation, and wise decision making, which are important to me. The motto is Latin for “Boldly Look Beyond.”
BIOGRAPHY: Born in August 1988, Peter Gordon Kennedy is the only son of Roland and Diane Kennedy. He has had a passion for science since he was in fourth grade and has been interested in architecture, home construction, and remodeling since his early teens. He values the pursuit of knowledge and graduated from high school with high honors. His love of science led him to some interesting hobbies, including element collecting, rock and mineral collecting, and scientific experimentation. Additionally, he loves writing poetry and high fantasy. He wrote his first short story when he was 11, his first novelette when he was 14, and his first novel, Of Orbs and Lords, at the age of 18 and self-published it at the age of 19 through a print-on-demand publisher. Peter has also loved nature since he was very young and enjoys photographing its beauty.
Back to top Go down
Dick Stodghill
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 3795
Registration date: 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 6:01 am

You do some neat things. Impressive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dickstodghill.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 3827
Registration date: 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 am

I agree with Dick.

Very nice.

Carol cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Domenic Pappalardo
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 2126
Registration date: 2009-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 7:08 am

Why not use the real one?

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/kennedy-family-crest.htm
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 am

Actually, there's no such thing as a family coat of arms historically. Coats of arms origionally belonged to individuals and were passed down from father to son, usually with marks of differnce. The concept of family coats of arms originated in the 19th. century with companies trying to sell stationary. The coat of arms I designed and registered with the United States Heraldic Registry is a design that represents me as an individual. I put a lot of thought into it and did lots of research on coats of arms before finalizing the design in September 2008.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 10:26 am

Here's a version of the Kennedy coat of arms I downloaded from the internet for free. Although family arms aren't historically accurate in the strict traditional sense, I suppose there's nothing wrong with using them in this day and age.
Back to top Go down
alj
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 9379
Registration date: 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 11:02 am

I like it. I especially like the dark green.

My 3rd great-grandmother, Ailcy Foster, is the subject on one of my WIP's, Ailcy's Legacy. Her father's family has bee connected by DNA to the Norman Forresters of Northumberland. This is the Foster crest:

Back to top Go down
http://www.annjoiner.com
Carol Troestler
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 3827
Registration date: 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 11:14 am

Ann,

I've got ancestors from the 1400s named Forster. (Elizabeth, George, and Humphrey.) They are from Berkshire, England.

I also found a coat of arms for the Grant family. (My maiden name.)

Peter,

I like the idea of the individual coat of arms.

And I liked reading your biography. I've always considered you a very interesting person.

Carol
Back to top Go down
http://www.authorsden.com/ctroestler
Abe F. March
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

Number of posts: 8660
Registration date: 2008-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 12:50 pm

Gordon,
you do good work. I agree that a "family" coat of arms is original to the person on which it was bestowed. It is most often carried by the descendants.
I tried to upload my family coat of arms but it didn't work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.abemarch.com, http://www.authorsden.com/abefmarch,
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Thu May 28, 2009 12:53 pm

Here's yet another version with a little lighter green.
Back to top Go down
P. Gordon Kennedy
Five Star Member
Five Star Member

PostSubject: Re: Improvements to my Coat of Arms   Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:10 pm

Here's a version with a few more improvements. This one has a bigger tower crest and is done in a lighter shade of green than the origional. Dark green is nice, but when it prints out, it prints out too dark, so I made it lighter.

Back to top Go down

Improvements to my Coat of Arms

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Published Authors ::  :: -